Saturday, August 4, 2012

2012 Garden - The Stars of Project 24

My Garden stars the following attractions this year:

CARROTS
(I planted carrots last year but absolutely none grew, this was a pleasant suprise!)


TOMATOES
(I was given a box of tomatoes last fall and saved the seeds. I planted 4 greenhouse plants just in case but now have an overabundance of tomatoes! Looking forward to making spaghetti sauce of some sort.)


Habanero Peppers
(I started these inside and transplanted in mid-July. They have flowers but I'm unsure if they will produce in time for the fall. We've still got time. First time trying peppers in the garden.)



TOMATILLOS
(First time with tomatillos, hoping to make a few jars of salsa.)


MARIGOLDS
(I have read over the years that Marigolds help with certain pests. I normally don't like the flower itself, but enjoy it in my garden.)


HERBS
(Spearmint, Thyme, Basil in the garden. I also have Parsley in a container on the deck.)


ACORN SQUASH
(I love acorn squash, but my husband and son do not. I'll be eating some and making the rest into baby food.)


ZUCCHINI
(We love zucchini so much that when I ran out of room I planted the 2 extra seeds away from the rest near my acorn squash. Didn't want to waste a seed!)



SWEET POTATOES
(Again, my boys do not eat these. I will eat a few, give a few away, but mostly make these into baby food for next spring.)



PUMPKINS
(I saved seeds from last year's 'cooking pumpkin' we bought while at a local pumpkin patch. This was, again, a let's-see-how-it-works-out type situation. Turned out well!)


GREEN BEANS
(Last year I planted 2 packets of seeds, and we got no green beans. So this year I tried again. Seems everything I put in the ground grew! We've harvested 2 gallons so far just off the bush beans. We'll pick the pole beans tomorrow and will have at least the same. Bush beans will have to be harvested again soon too! I'm freezing the beans to use over the winter. Will possibly make some baby food with these when thawed.)




ASPARAGUS
(I was hoping to plant up to 15 asparagus plants. I restrained and bought 2. They were supposed to be ready to produce this year but I only got 2 stalks. I let them grow and will cut them down in the fall in hopes of asparagus next year. Gotta keep trying!)


GARLIC and ONIONS
(I planted fall garlic and onions that have been growing nicely. Haven't been able to harvest as soon as I thought we would but they are going to be a better size than the garlic and onions I planted this spring. Nice to have a little bit of each.)



TURNIPS
(Opps! I planted turnips and had no idea what I was going to do with them... so I'm going to blanch and freeze them with my potatoes and some with carrots for baby food. I will only add a small amount fo the baby food carrots, turnips could make baby gassy!)

POTATOES
(Planted Kenebec and Yukon Gold. Grew well last year, growing well again now that they don't have weeds to compete with!)


2 comments:

Lois said...

Your garden is lovely, I'm almost jealous. We didn't get anything out of our carrots this year, but will try again next year. Most of what we planted did well, nothing as nice as what you have, but it's our first year. Can't wait to expand the garden next summer

Anonymous said...

WOW,what a great garden. All I planted this year are a few tomatoes. My mouth was watering as I read your blog and looked at the pictures:) Barb M