Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Seeds

We received two large gifts of apples from in-law's the end of September and beginning of October. I made 3 pans of apple crisp and froze 24 cups ( the equivalent 3 more pans of apple crisp) to use this winter for baking. Yummo! 

While we were prepping the apples for freezing I decided to keep out 25-30 seeds. These apples are from trees that have been growing on Jeremy's grandpa and grandma's property.  They are sitting above one of the curio cabinets for the next 4-6 weeks, until dried. Even if I get only 1-3 little apple trees to sprout from these seeds it will save us $50+ per tree! 

Currently we have 4 trees currently and I would love to have 8-10. Our property has a lot of Aspen, Tamarack, Pine, and a couple Elm trees but no other fruit bearing. So I will wait ever so (im)patiently while my apple seeds dry.




Only 1 apple tree produced fruit this year. It was enough for Cole to bring with to school 3 times for lunch!


4 comments:

Dani said...

Shannon - Why do you have to dry apple seeds? Can they not be planted straight from the apple? I ask, because that is how I am growing lemon trees. I find that as long as they are kept in the fridge for 24 hours (probably to mimic winter hibernation) they seem to be taking fine.

shannonseibel said...

A few reasons why I decided to dry the seeds. I have read in a couple different places that the seeds need to be moisture free stored. (I also read that they could be refrigerated or dried for 4-6 weeks, I decided to dry.) The main reason though is I don't have anywhere to plant them this fall that will get good sunlight throughout the winter so I will have to hold onto the seeds until late winter/early spring. We have already had a few nights with below freezing temps, we're not in the best zone for gardening...

Bridget said...

It's always interesting to see what you get from seeds!

Mary said...

Fingers crossed that you'll see several trees! That would be awesome. We're putting in our fall garden this week as well. It is so exciting.