Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ants in my pants! Actually, my eggplants.


My vegetable garden which I planted in less-than-perfect soil (a bit clay heavy) is finally starting to grow. I am the proud over-protective gardener of two tomato plants, two green pepper plants and two eggplants. There were more eggplants... but something ate the rest. I believe the culprit was ants! The two survivors look pretty good, minus a few holes in their leaves where the ants have been feasting. When I first spotted the ants I did a little web research and sprayed the eggplants with a soapy water mix to try and ward them off. Now that they are back, I'm choosing a different list of home remedies. Used coffee grounds (which will double as a fertilizer), Tabasco sauce and cinnamon. Yesterday, after I'd had my cup of coffee, I mixed up my concoction and placed it an inch from the base of each of the eggplants. I'll let you know how it works... or doesn't.

2 comments:

shannonseibel said...

Sister! Do you know if eggplant can grow in Northern MN?? Zone 3. I would love to try it next year!

Jen said...

We have tons of ants in our garden too. I asked my mom--who is the only gardener I know--and she said that ants can be helpful because they track pollen around flowers and they most likely don't eat the plants. But there are lots of other bugs that will, so I hope your remedies worked. We used the soapy water last year on our tomato plants, but our garden had more issues last year than the soapy water could help!